Context: MC can't believe that his favorite character in the mobile game, which he has been playing, is real. He is going to buy a new smartphone in a smartphone shop, to replace his broken one and participate in a gacha event. Then he saw a cosplayer inside the shop, which is really looked like her, and he thought that's just a cosplayer working in the smartphone shop, which he went in to buy a new phone

"もしかして、なりきってる残念な……じゃなくて本物のレイヤーか?"

Much thanks if anyone can explain to me the meaning of this sentence, and some grammar being used here o/

More context below:

MC「ほ、ほんとにリリアさん?」

Lilia「ちょうどマスターのスマホが壊れて、このままもうゲームをプレイしてくれないと思ったから……」(his favorite character in a mobile game (gacha?)

まだ話してもいないのに壊れたスマホの事を知っているとはっ! もしかして、なりきってる残念な……じゃなくて本物のレイヤーか?

その時、リリア(仮)さんが『マスター、まだ信じてないの?』とつぶやくと……

リリアの体が白く輝き、展示台の上にあるスマホの画面に吸い込まれたっ!

MC「O・M・G!」

吸い込まれたスマホに近づき画面を覗き込むと、その中に表示されているリリアが俺に向かって手を振っていた。

My guess but not sure based on context "If she's not her then it's unfortunate .... Then she's a cosplayer ?"

1 Answer 1

Here 残念な means not "unfortunate" but something like "disappointing", "pathetic", "unsatisfactory", "poor" or "trying hard but useless". 残念な(人) in this context refers to an embarrassing/pathetic person who is behaving like Lilia.

もしかして、なりきってる残念な(人)……じゃなくて本物のレイヤーか?
Maybe she is not a (mere) pathetic person but a true (professional) cosplayer (behaving like Lilia)?

So MC initially thought she was just a strange person wearing a strange costume in a smartphone shop. Then he changed his mind and started to think she is a capable professional (because she spoke exactly like Lilia and even knew his smartphone was broken).

• oh so he thinks that this girl might be a 残念な(人) ? Or 残念な(レイヤ) ? I'm not sure about the part he's about to say , but then changed his mind
    – 4chan user
    Jul 11, 2022 at 13:13
  • @casualreader I don't think that makes any difference in this context.
    – naruto
    Jul 11, 2022 at 14:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .