When reading ,I'm confused by this sentence ,using 2 "yorokobi" (“悦び” /“喜び”) and もうかがえる ? (The writer's using only katakana here, so I'm not sure if I understood the meaning correctly ). Much thanks if anyone can help me find its correct meaning o/

Context : MC is commenting (in his mind) about a mysterious woman who's suddenly appears next to his bed at night ,after looked at her face/eyes and hear she speaks to him :

すると女の人の瞳により“悦び”の色が妖しく混じる。​ この……妖しい“悦び”と、どこか“無垢”な様子もうかがえる“喜び”が入り混じったこの言葉。​

(my guess : "In her words mixed with pleasure/joy ,somewhere I can also see the air of pure/innocent peeks out" ?)

1 Answer 1

Your guess is mostly correct while your parsing is wrong. も is the particle "also" and うかがえる is 伺える "can see", potential form of うかがう. So どこか“無垢”な様子もうかがえる“喜び” is joy in which you can also see innocence somehow

As for the second sentence, it is a long noun phrase where この言葉 is modified by the preceding この....混じった. With A=この....妖しい"悦び" and B=どこか..."喜び", it is Those words where A and B are mixed. (Or the starting この can be understood as a duplicate of この of the last この言葉 and A=妖しい“悦び”.)

On the difference of 喜び/悦び, usually in the modern usage, the former means neutrally "joy/happiness" whereas the latter often has the connotation of ecstasy. So, for example, おもちゃをもらった子供が悦んでいる usually looks odd. I've heard this kind of distinction is generally/historically not well founded, though.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .