I am pretty sure I have heard native speakers say things like

あの大事故の中で、けが一つなかったのは奇跡と言うほかありません

My question is can I use this construct or the similar usage ほかしかたがない to describe something decidedly negative? For example:

そんなことを言ってただで済まないぞ。お前は学校の恥と言う(より)ほか(は)ない!

I seem to have seen similar sentences, but I am not sure it sounds completely natural in this context. Would the abridged version sound more natural? What about these options:

学校の恥と言うよりほかはない

学校の恥と言うほかはない

学校の恥と言うよりほかない

学校の恥と言うほかない

学校の恥と言うほかしかたがない

The last one sounds strange to me but ほかしかたがない seems interchangeable with よりほかはない in a lot of contexts. Also is there a better phrase to express what I am trying to say?

• 「言うしかない」は使えますかね?
    – Chocolate
    Jul 1 at 8:45

1 Answer 1

Generally, the following can be used similarly in negative/positive statements.

• {しか,より}ない
  • ほか({に,は})ない
  • よりほか({に,は})ない
  • ほか(に)しかた(が)ない
  • よりしかた(が)ない
  • よりほか(に)しかた(が)ない

Some are more common than others. I guess looking at web resources (1, 2, 3, for example) shows which are more common.

For your question, I think it is ok, but perhaps slightly odd. My feeling is that it is more natural as a objective comment rather than an emotional phrase in the question. For example, "今回の不祥事は学校の恥と申し上げるほかありません" would be natural enough.

Regarding the difference among variants, I think they are mostly interchangeable but those with しかたがない may sound odd depending on the meaning. Basically it adds a sense of giving up. For example

1. 大谷の活躍は見事というほかない
  2. 大谷の活躍は見事というほか仕方ない

1 sounds simply praising Ohtani's performance whereas 2 is likely to be said by someone who is negatively affected by his good performance, e.g. players in the other teams.

Another phrase worth noting is ざるを得ない.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .