The similarity between "to enter (入)" and "number 8 (八)" confuses me. What's the extra part on top of 八?

2 Answers 2


Not all fonts have that horizontal thing. Here are examples of the same 八 rendered with various fonts installed on my PC:

enter image description here

Basically, that horizontal bar is something similar to serifs in Latin fonts. When you write kanji by hand, you should not try to reproduce it. When in doubt, find a 教科書体 font (blue).



It is a design typically used for the typeface called Minchotai (roughly equivalent to Latin serif fonts). Basically it is designed so that glyphs are closer to those written with brushes.

In typography it seems to be called 八屋根 (hachi yane), literally "eight roof". Quoting the image and text from here:



Translation: The 6 characters on the bottom right have the element called "hachi yane", which represents the starting of "migi barai" strokes (strokes going diagonally from left to right) as seen in 八 and 入.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .