enter image description here

What's the meaning and what's this gesture called?

• Hello, welcome to the site! could you provide more context? I mean Satoshi has got a present from her? Jun 11, 2022 at 14:36
    Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/55371/9831
    – chocolate
    Jun 11, 2022 at 15:10
  • @Chocolate Wow, what looks like exactly the same image and everything. Exact dupe.
    – Kaz
    Jun 12, 2022 at 15:12

1 Answer 1

As far as I know, there is no single Japanese word for the gesture (I'm a native Japanese speaker).

If I talk about the gesture, I would use several words to describe it, such as 「鼻{はな}の下{した}を指{ゆび}でこする仕草{しぐさ}」 or more simply 「鼻をこする仕草」.

I have seen it on anime or manga, but have never seen anyone do it in real life. So it's a very アニメっぽい/マンガっぽい(anime-like/manga-like) gesture, I think. When a character makes the gesture, he/she often say 「ヘヘッ」 in Japanese.

Good information, but you didn't say what the gesture means. Jun 11, 2022 at 14:33
    You are right. The meaning of the gesture is a little hard to explain... Typically, a character makes the gesture when he is trying to hide his feelings. Maybe he is happy and satisfied, and also he is trying to hide how happy he is because it is a little embarrassing for him to show his happy feelings to others. Or, maybe he is trying to talk about something secret but still hesitating. In any case, he is probably a little embarrassed.
    – Masa Y
    Jun 11, 2022 at 14:41
    @MasaY great information! You should probably add that to answer, too
    – eis
    Jun 12, 2022 at 7:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .