I found this sentence in a book:

「当時のわしは、人間が憎かったんじゃ。多くの仲間たちが、ドワーフというだけで虐げられ、人間のせいで故郷を追われたのに、生きるために人間にヘイコラせねばならん。その『憎しみ』が、わしの目を曇らせたんじゃ」

The character is speaking about a test he took in the past, were he failed because he assumed the best sword could have been made by a human, since dwarves were (at least in his eyes) better blacksmiths.

I understand most of the sentence, but I cannot understand ヘイコラ; I tried to parse it in any way I could think of, but I found no useful words or meaning.

As far as I understand, the character is saying "At the time I hated humans. Many fellow dwarves were oppressed just because they were dwarves and were driven off their land by humans", then something about humans and "in order to live" (生きるために), then "That hate clouded my eyes". But I have no idea about the ヘイコラ part

Did you look up へいこら in a dictionary? Jun 10 at 16:19
    @DariusJahandarie yes, several of them, bilingual; but now that you mentioned it I tried a monolingual - which I didn't think of before - and I found this weblio.jp/content/%E3%81%B8%E3%81%84%E3%81%93%E3%82%89, which makes sense, so I guess it was an oversight to not think about checking it first.
    – Mauro
    Jun 10 at 17:33
    @Mauro Maybe you could self-answer your question then? Jun 10 at 22:18
    明鏡国語辞典, 3rd ed., says へつらって、ぺこぺこ頭をさげるさま。「上役にへいこらする」
    – naruto
    Jun 11 at 1:25
    I guess 憎かったんじゃん should've been 憎かったんじゃ, and 人間おせい → 人間のせい? Jun 11 at 13:47

1 Answer 1

Thanks to a comment from Darius Jahandarie I found it's a word not listed on bilingual dictionaries, but it can be found for example here:

相手の機嫌をとろうとして、やたらに頭を下げたり言いなりになったりするさま。「上役に—する」

In the comments, naruto quotes a definition from 明鏡国語辞典, which confirms this is it:

へつらって、ぺこぺこ頭をさげるさま。「上役にへいこらする」

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .