Maruo is being asked to get rid of a wild dog by his classmates:

1. 「退治してくんなきゃ、学級委員の資格ないぞブー」
  2. はまじと関口と三人組のブー太郎が大まじめな顔で言うと、丸尾君がうっとひるんだ
  3. 「そうだそうだ、丸尾やれ~~~~」
  4. 「丸尾君、おねがいーーーー」
  5. クラス中から声があがった。

"Unless you get rid of it you're not qualified to be class representative"
When the trio of Hamaji, Sekiguchi and Buutarou say this with serious faces Maruo ???
"That's right. That's right. Maruo ???"
"Pleeeease Maruo."
Voices were raised throughout the class.

I have two problems with this scene:

1. For the part in bold (丸尾君がうっとひるんだ), I'm not at all sure what this means. うっとひる does not appear to be a word at all. The only sensible translation of ひる in Weblio is 放る, meaning "to expel". So I'm guessing that うっとひる is something like "let out a gulp" / "expel his breath". Something like that. Am I close? This meaning of ひる doesn't even appear in my good paper dictionary. Is this a common word/phrase?

2. Because I'm not sure of the above I'm not even sure who speaks in line 3 (そうだそうだ、丸尾やれ~~~~). I see two possibilities:

a) Either it is Maruo's classmates telling him to do it (i.e. get rid of the dog) with やれ as the imperative of やる.
    b) It is Maruo speaking and やれ~~ is a truncated, stammering やれられる, with Maruo saying that he can get rid of the dog. Maruo seems to stammer a lot in this story, so I wondered if that's what the wiggly line represented.

「うっ」と、ひるんだ、ですから、「ひるむ」って動詞を調べてみたら?
    – Chocolate
    Jun 3 at 15:00
    @Chocolate Argh. Embarrassing. I'm an idiot. I kept reading that as ひる+ん+だ and was wondering why it was in present tense. Now it makes sense. Although I'm still not certain about who speaks in line 3. Jun 3 at 15:03
  • What would he have meant by やれられる? The potential form of やる is やれる.
    – aguijonazo
    Jun 3 at 16:44

1 Answer 1

1. It's parsed as 「うっ」と、ひるんだ。

ひるんだ is the past tense form of the verb ひるむ.

1. It's (a).

やれ is the imperative form of やる.  

「クラス中から声があがった。」とありますが、その上の2行は、その「声」で、
クラスの男子が、「そうだそうだ、丸尾やれ~~~~」と言って、
クラスの女子が、「丸尾君、おねがいーーーー」と言ったんです。

• Thanks. Could you explain what うっ is please? Is it a gasp, a gulping sound...? Jun 3 at 15:16
    はい、a gasp, a gulping sound だと思います。「Ugh」みたいなのかな?
    – Chocolate
    Jun 3 at 15:23
  • "Ugh" could work, but I would say that is normally used for a sound of disgust/revulsion Jun 3 at 15:28
  • ああ、そうなんですね。ここでは丸尾君は、ビビッて(=怖がって・[怖気]{おじけ}づいて?)、困っている感じですね。
    – Chocolate
    Jun 3 at 15:30
    For a quick sound of surprise, which also overlaps nicely with the source text, one might say "oop!" Jun 3 at 16:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .