What does the "dainty" below "Liquor and Drink" mean/correlate to? This seems like 和製英語 of some kind but I can't figure out what it could be from or what sort of meaning or purpose it's intended for here. I tried googling around but it doesn't seem like this has been asked online, that or I can't figure out the right keywords to use for this; I've tried looking up the store in English and katakana, tried appending "dainty" in English and katakana, and a couple other things but haven't gotten much luck.

A sign of the Japanese stores that says Belc, ベルク, 焼きたてパン, パン・コキール, LIQUOR & DAINTY, 酒, DRINK & DAINTY, クリーニング アニカ

  • 1
    Look up dainty as a noun. You'll find it's not 和製英語 but just a word that has fallen out of use. It means "Something delicious to the taste" so someone probably looked up 珍味 or 美味しいもの and found that word. Unfortunately that means this is a question about English and not Japanese, so I didn't make an answer.
    – By137
    May 14 at 15:02
  • Oh. Oops, sorry. Didn't even consider it could have been obsolete English. Thank you though.
    – Reveiller
    May 14 at 16:43
  • 5
    I’m voting to close this question because it turns out this ended up being a question about English rather than Japanese.
    – Reveiller
    May 14 at 16:44
  • No, it is definitely a question about Japanese, because the questioner may well be perfectly aware of the (non-obsolete) English adjective, but wants to know what the Japanese means, if anything. May 14 at 18:14
  • @BrianChandler the user trying to close this question is the questioner themself.
    – Eddie Kal
    May 14 at 19:31


Browse other questions tagged .