I can't get the correct translation and understand the structure of this sentence:

けんか{kenka}  が{ga} つよい{tsuyoi} うえに{ueni}、おとこまえ{otokomae}。

喧嘩{けんか}が強{つよ}い上{うえ}に、男前{おとこまえ}。

This is a quote said by a videogame character after winning a fight. The sources point out that this means "Not only am I strong; but handsome as well!", but I can't get to this answer analyzing the sentence.

This is one of the quotes of Yashiro Nanakase, of the videogame King of Fighters. You can find a list with its quotes and translations to English here.
    – jarmanso7
    May 8 at 22:55
    Also, please note that direct requests for translations are off-topic in this site. Since you invested some time and effort behind your question, this wouldn't be the case, but you would need to actually share your analysis and point out the specific points you are struggling with.
    – jarmanso7
    May 8 at 23:14

1 Answer 1

You may analyze as follows:

Break them down

• Kenka ga tsuyoi = strong (in fighting)
  • ue ni = on top of
  • otokomae = handsome

Put them together

Strong + on top of + handsome

Adjust

(I am) strong + (and) on top (of that) + (I am) handsome

Result

• I am strong; and on top of that I am handsome!

same as

• Not only am I strong; but handsome as well!
  • can you only talk a bit more about the first "break"? since "ga" is used as a particle for mark the subject that does an action, what is the purpose here?
    – Kaneda
    May 9 at 1:30
  • @Kaneda are you familiar with the adjective 好き? consider the sentence チョコレートが好き. It's the same structure than 喧嘩が強い. This is a fairly common pattern Noun + が + Adjective, where the adjective is describing the noun, and there is no action.
    – jarmanso7
    May 9 at 1:41
  • @Kaneda jarmanso7's comment is spot on. For our example: "Tsuyoi" means strong and "kenka" means fighting. "Kenka tsuyoi" sounds like "strong fighting", so something is missing. The answer is "ga": "Kenka ga tsuyoi" = "strong in fighting". You may check this question.
    – dungarian
    May 9 at 7:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.