I recently read lots of articles/posts from the が particle usages and there is something which isn't clear for me. So the basic usage of the が is to mark the subject of the sentence. But in addition が can be used to mark the focus of the sentence and in this case it is an exhaustive listing or neutral description.

First I think the が particle always marks the subject and the focus at the same time, because lots of article doesn't state the opposite. But seems that’s not true. The japanesewithanime.com says the following:

The ga が particle can mark a noun as having the focus in a simple sentence.

But what is the situation with the complex sentence? So after this I'm thinking lot and came the following conclusion:

When the が subject marker is used in a simple sentence or in a main clause then it marks the focus too. However が subject marker doesn't mark the focus too in the subordinate clause. Am I right?

So based on it the が is just a "plain" subject marker in the following example:

私 は お母{かあ}さん が 作{つく}った お菓子{かし} を 食{た}べました。

So what I want to know: is it possible the が is just a plain subject marker in the sentence?

1 Answer 1

You are correct. The subject of a main clause is typically marked with は, so when が is used instead, it carries a nuance such as exhaustive-listing or neutral-description.

お母さんは英語を勉強しています。
My mother is studying English.
(neutral; described as a known fact)

お母さんが英語を勉強しています。
It's my mother who is studying English.
(nuanced: exhaustive-listing-ga)

お母さんが英語を勉強しています。
(I found/report) My mom is studying English.
(nuanced: neutral-description-ga)

On the other hand, the subject of a subordinary clause (including a relative clause) is marked with が by default, so it carries no extra nuance there. If は is used within a relative clause, that's probably a nuanced は known as contrastive-wa.

顔が美しい人
a person whose face is beautiful
(neutral)

顔は美しい人
a person whose face, at least, is beautiful
(nuanced: indicates this person has some fault)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.