Recently I was reading「鶴の笛」by (林芙美子) and came across this sentence:

若木の林のなかは、ところまだらに陽の光が煙っていて美しい景色でした。

Am I correct in assuming that this would be read as two clauses joined with the conjunctive form verb? As In:

若木の林のなかは美しいでした= clause 1

ところまだらに陽の光が煙って= clause 2

Where clause 2 is inside clause 1?

Or would it be read where clause 2 is a clausal predicate that describes a component of clause 1 in some way? In which case, what is it describing and why?

• I'm not sure what you mean by the 2nd reading. I guess any reading won't particularly affect the meaning of the sentence, so the 1st reading is fine.
    – sundowner
    Apr 25 at 22:06
  • There is no nesting in this sentence. This is essentially a compound sentence joined using a te-form. The two predicates are placed in parallel rather than in a parent-children relationship.
    – naruto
    Apr 26 at 3:38

1 Answer 1

It is simply the following two sentences combined into one with 若木の林のなか kept as a common topic.

1. 若木の林のなかは、ところまだらに陽の光が煙っていました。

2. 若木の林のなかは、美しい景色でした。

Since the first describes what the speaker observed and the second what they thought, the first could be understood as indicating a reason for why the speaker thought the second was true.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.