For example, would 彼と私 always sound just as natural as 私と彼? Or is one preferred over the other for certain uses? And this would apply to any other name or pronoun besides 彼.

You seem to be conflating the order of the pronouns (question body) with whether they are used as subject or object (question title). Could you clarify what you want to know? Apr 22 at 21:46
    The reason "me and him" would typically be thought of as wrong (when used as a subject) doesn't have anything to do with the order.
    – Leebo
    Apr 22 at 22:48

1 Answer 1

If I understand correctly, English speakers are trained to always say "(and) I" last for politeness. However, Japanese has no such rules. 彼と私 and 私と彼 are equally natural, and no one would care about the order even in formal settings. The same is true with 僕と君 vs 君と僕, あなたと私 vs 私とあなた, 私と社長 vs 社長と私, and so on. Whichever is fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.