From Kaguya-sama: Love Is War:

As you know (Gasai) from memes, Kaguya often says (either actually or in Miyuki's imagination) 'お可愛いこと' (o kawaii koto). You can even see like a compilation here.

enter image description here

Miyuki seems to say something similar (either actually or in Kaguya's imagination) 'お可愛い奴め' (O kawaii yatsu-me ?)

From the anime S01E11 (eg here)

or from the manga Chapter 42

Questions:

1. What's the exact rōmaji here? O kawaii yatsu-me? O kawaii yatsume? O kawaii yatsuume?

2. What's the difference? I'm guessing still 'practically they are used synonymously' again like the 2 true love's...but then theoretically though...?

1 Answer 1

This is a pretty simple, cursory answer, but:

こと here is a sentence-ending particle stereotypically associated with, I'd say, elegant ladies/お嬢さん. Second to last entry, first definition here, essentially it expresses strong feelings.

Meanwhile やつめ is an actual noun. やつ is a not-so-polite way of saying 'a person' and め is a suffix adding an additional insulting nuance, though in this case it doesn't seem to be too rough? It's something like 'cute little devil', 'cute little fucker' depending on how roughly the character talks.

The hyphens aren't actually part of Romaji so you can use them or leave them as you like, but 'yatsuume' would be pronounced differently and is wrong.

• Thanks Angelos. Perhaps I'll notice some such こと when I watch the new Higurashi(/Umineko). 1 - Actually I was thinking about the ojou-san (ojou-sama in this case because the show is called Kaguya-sama?). What I thought was Miyuki was doing like the male version. So apparently, not really, Miyuki's just doing like 'cute little devil' ? 2 - Wait... やつ...ahhhh (now with the hiragana I think I recognise this word) is it like koitsu / aitsu?
    – BCLC
    Commented Apr 19, 2022 at 10:47

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .