I came across the following sentence in my textbook (上級へのとびら, lesson 12, page 279). It is part of a presentation explaining how to make 押し花:

まず、最初にティッシュペーパーを1枚ボール紙の上に置きます。次に、そのティッシュペーパーの上に草花を並べて置きます。この時、あまりたくさん置きすぎないようにして下さい。

I understand the last sentence as "this time, don't put too much/many [flowers]." But the problem is that this could be expressed already with すぎない, without the use of adverbs, couldn't it?:

この時、置きすぎないようにして下さい。

So I don't understand what nuance あまりたくさん adds here. Moreover, if I were to add an adverb to stress the point, I would rather use only あまり with a negative verb:

この時、あまりたくさん置きすぎないようにして下さい。

What meaning or nuance does たくさん add after あまり?

1 Answer 1

So, この時、あまりたくさん置きすぎないようにして下さい can be deconstructed as follows:

• 置き - put in, fill

• たくさん置き - put in many, fill it up

• nice and full of flowers
  • 置きすぎ - overfill

• don't know whether it's been overfilled by a small or large amount; just that it's in excess of the expected limit
  • たくさん置きすぎ - overfilled it {a lot / with too many}

• definitely know it's been overfilled by a large amount
  • あまりたくさん置きすぎない - not overfill it very much / with so many

• don't overfill it to such an extent / in excess of the limit, but still make sure its the full amount

In general speak, it's a bit like a glass of wine in a restaurant. Although the standard amount is 100ml, the customer wants you to fill their glass right up to the top (overfill it) but, not to the excessive degree / extent that the wine's spilling over everywhere on their table.

Related Expressions / Idiomatic Usage:

• できるだけ飲みすぎないようにしてください
  • 顔がたくさんすぎて気持ち悪い
  • 君に伝えたいことがたくさんありすぎて
  • たくさんありすぎる
  • 沢山すぎて
  • たくさん作りすぎたソファ

There are a few points to note here:

• たくさん = lots of, many, much
  • 過ぎる = too much / many of N, or over-V
  • あまり~Sない = not very much / many of ~

たくさん is generally used to indicate the amount of something, using

• an adverb: 今年はたくさん雪が降った。A lot of snow fell this year.
  • a noun: この部屋には机がたくさんある。 There are a lot of desks in this room.

過ぎる can be interpreted two ways in this context - put in too many nouns or over-verb. Overfill (over-put) works better as it works better with the amount and still enables the amari~nai pattern to indicate overfill but not to excess or immoderately. As such, and it avoids the double adverb problem you mentioned - 'too too much'.

あまり~Sない is an adverbial pattern that is used with a negative predicate to indicate the degree or extent of something

• この本はあまりよくない。 This book isn't very good. 
  • 鈴木さんはあまり食べない。 Suzuki doesn't eat much.
  • 私はあまり速く走りません。 I can't run very fast.
  • Thank you very much, I understand now that あまり and たくさん are not joint here, but たくさん is modifying an inner clause that is inserted as a whole into the pattern あまり~Sない. However, I still don't understand the difference between 置きすぎ and たくさん置きすぎ. Is it just a matter of emphasis?
    – jarmanso7
    Apr 15 at 0:27
    Just updated the last few lines, Cheers
    – Kathy
    Apr 15 at 0:59
  • The distinction between "being excessive or not" vs. "being excessive by a bit or being excessive by a lot" made it much clearer. Thanks.
    – jarmanso7
    Apr 15 at 3:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.