I am currently reading 天気の子 by 新海誠。There is a passage which I can't figure out which uses the phrase なくも over and over. Other posts mention なく or も separately, but not together (that I've found). I understand that "~もない (~もなく) can mean 'not even~' or 'without (even) ~' but I was wondering what なくも means instead. Also, why are there no commas between the repetitions. Sorry if this has been asked/answered elsewhere. Here is the sentence:

ーような気が、しなくも、なくもなくも、なくもなくもなくもない。

1 Answer 1

This looks more like a creative choice to show an idea in the character's mind flopping over and over, trying to figure it out. Kind of like - "...or that's what it seems...or not? Or not not? Or not not not?"

• Thank you, a bit like they are saying "I think you should not not do it, but maybe you should? Or shouldn't?"
    – palmon
    Apr 12 at 11:02
    @palmon - しなくもない is the standard form. しなくもなくもない is sometimes said jokingly. This is an extreme case of that.
    – aguijonazo
    Apr 12 at 11:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.