"Why do all German words sound the same?" What is the correct word order to say that?

1. なぜドイツ語の単語はすべて同じに聞こえるのか? [Naze doitsugo no tango wa subete onaji ni kikoeru nodesu ka?]
  2. なぜすべてのドイツ語の単語は同じに聞こえるのか? [Naze subete no doitsugo no tango wa onaji ni kikoeru no ka?]

Or is there another way to say it?

2 Answers 2

Both sentences are okay and natural. In Sentence 1, すべて is used adverbially, and that's the primary way to express the number/amount of something in Japanese, especially in casual speech. This has been discussed several times:

So if I have to choose one, Sentence 1 sounds more common to me. In this case, however, the sentence ends with a literary question marker のか, making it look technical, like the title of an written article. In such a case, Sentence 2 does not sound unnatural at all to me.

I think your first sentence sounds more natural. I would tweek it slightly though (in bold).

なぜドイツ語の単語すべて同じように聞こえるのか?

Also, there isn't anything necessarily wrong with it, but I feel like it would be more natural to say 言葉 instead of 単語。That's probably just me though.

• なぜドイツ語の単語がすべて同じように聞こえるのか? <- 「なぜドイツ語の単語はすべて同じに聞こえるのか?」でいいと思いますが・・・  「なぜ空青いのか?」「象の鼻どうして長いの?」って言いますけど「なぜ空が青いのか?」「象の鼻がどうして長いの?」って、使い方がちょっと違いますよね(「なぜ空が青いのか、知っていますか?」のように使ったり。)「同じに聞こえる」「同じに見える」も普通に使いますし。
    – chocolate
    Apr 28, 2022 at 1:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .