A person planning a seminar wrote the date and day of the week, but the day of the week was incorrect. So I wanted to send a message asking "Did you mean to write ...?", but I'm struggling to wrangle a natural-sounding translation.

The closest I can come up with is 「(土)を書くつもりだったでしょうか。」but for some reason something about it doesn't sit right with me. Could someone with a better "natural Japanese" filter give a better idea?

1 Answer 1

I suppose do you mean to would require some modifications depending on what you are asking.

Speaking backward, つもりですか/つもりでしたか normally sounds like do you plan to/did you plan to...?. That is, it sounds asking about the explicit plan, not implicit intentions. So if a sentence can be rewritten as do you plan/try to...?, つもりですか probably can be used.

As for the particular example, suppose (this year) there is written 3月19日(日)(=actually 土曜日) we normally say

1. 日付と曜日が食い違っていますが、どちらが正しいでしょうか?

2. 19日は土曜日ですか、曜日のほうが間違っているということでよろしいでしょうか?

3. 19日は土曜日ですが、20日の間違いということでよろしいでしょうか?

In 1. you generally ask about the inconsistency; in 2, you assume the day of the week is wrong; in 3, you assume the date is wrong.

Slightly more generally, I guess you need to rephrase the English to something like "Currently X (which puzzles me), did you mean to write Y?", and translate it as "Xとなっていますが、Yということでよろしいでしょうか" (with possibly many modifications depending on the context).

• Thanks for the clear suggestions. Could you point to somewhere explaining ということでよろしいでしょうか? I haven't seen that pattern before, I'm not sure how it changes the meaning from 間違っているでしょうか or (20日が?)間違いでしょうか.
    – Hikonyan
    Mar 25 at 10:31
    @Hikonyan It can be seen as an interrogative form of ということだ. The conveyed meaning of Xということでいいですか is Is my understanding correct that X?. This sounds kind of indirect than just saying Xは間違いですか?.
    – sundowner
    Mar 26 at 3:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .