I’ve been looking for it and haven’t found a clear answer, for example “豹” appears as panther in some pages but in others that translates to leopard, I’ve also seen “豹属” as panther

Panther is a word that doesn't even have a very precise meaning in colloquial English either. Many big cats (and many of which are not native to Asia) are called panthers.
    – Leebo
    Mar 16, 2022 at 12:19
  • Is it the same thing as the mountain lion?
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 16, 2022 at 13:39
  • @aguijonazo: I've never heard mountain lions referred to as "panthers", but a quick Google search suggests they can be.
    – istrasci
    Mar 16, 2022 at 17:46

1 Answer 1

A short answer is that you could use 豹 if you mean the animal with round spots on its skin.

A dictionary says that leopard and panther are synonymous while this website claims that panthers are black(ish).

In Japanese, 豹 is a species under the genus 豹属. Normally 豹 makes us think of spotted yellow skin (e.g. ヒョウ柄) and there is a specific word 黒豹 to refer to black leopards/panthers. So as a name of the species, 豹 corresponds to the English leopard. If you mean black leopards by panther, then there is no common single kanji for it.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .