I watched a show in which person A tells person B they want them to come back. After it's said, person C said " datoyo." I don't understand it. Da to yo is used to quote things but why would you quote person A if person B heard him? Could it simply be that person C is agreeing with what person A said? Like saying " yeah, what he said. " to avoid repeating it?

• Does A tell the other two what to do all the time and they don't particularly like it?
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 15 at 21:51
  • No. Person A tried to reach out to person C
    – Lorce
    Mar 16 at 2:46
  • Is C (or B) reluctant to go back?
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 16 at 4:00
  • Yes. Person A says emotional words trying to get person C to come back and then person B says datoyo. I only want to know if it could mean that B agrees with her words but instead of saying his own words just says datoyo
    – Lorce
    Mar 16 at 6:13
  • I thought C said that to B. Anyways, whichever of the two said it to the other, it simply means something like “You heard her. That’s what she wants.” The speaker may be trying to convince the listener to accept the situation and follow the order. It doesn’t necessarily mean he agrees with the person who gave the order. He may be equally reluctant to follow it.
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 16 at 6:33

1 Answer 1

Assuming C said だとよ to B, and assuming everyone is at the same place, yes, C is basically "quoting" A's statement. Its purpose is to confirm B heard what A said, and to prompt B's response. It's something like "So that's what A is saying, huh?", "(B,) you heard what A said?", "(B,) what do you say after A said this?", etc. Note that saying だとよ by itself does not necessary mean C has agreed with A.

• But it could mean he agreed and wants to avoid saying what person A said himself? Person C is shy
    – Lorce
    Mar 15 at 17:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .