I know you can link adjectives in Japanese this way: using -KUTE for -I adjectives, and DE for -Na adjectives. For example:

Kirei(na) + Wakai + Yasashii + Onna --> "Kireide, wakakute, yasashii onna (a beautiful, young and gentle woman)". きれいで、若くて、優しい女

I also know you can link adjectives in negative form this way: -KUNAKUTE for -I adjectives, -DEHANAKUTE / -JANAKUTE for -Na adjectives:

Kirei dehanai + Wakakunai + Yasashikunai + Onna --> "Kirei dehanakute, wakakunakute, yasashikunai onna (a woman who is not beautiful, young or gentle)". きれいではなくて、若くなくて、優しくない女

But, the question is, can you apply this to link past form adjectives (Kirei datta, Wakakatta, Yasashikatta...)? Is this possible in Japanese? How would you say "I miss a women that was beautiful and gentle", or something like this.

• 「きれいで優しかった女の人が恋しい」は、文法的には間違ってないと思いますが…その人は、今はきれいじゃないし優しくないんですか?
    – Angelos
    Mar 11 at 22:14

1 Answer 1

When you want to simply join two adjectives using the te-form or the continuative form, conjugate the last adjective into the past tense, and that's enough.

• それは赤くて大きかった。
    それは赤く大きかった。
    It was red and big.
  • それは大きくて赤かった。
    それは大きく赤かった。
    It was big and red.
  • 彼は健康で美しかった。
    He was healthy and beautiful.
  • 彼は美しくて健康だった。
    彼は美しく健康だった。
    He was beautiful and healthy.

This is the same as when you join two verbs to describe two past events (e.g., 朝食を食べて歯を磨いた).

In rare cases, you can use the ta-form like the following:

• 若かった美しい女性
    a beautiful woman who was (once) young
    (若かった is modifying the noun phrase 美しい女性)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .