I'm writing a piece in which a man tells a girl who he has just rescued from the rubble of a house to follow him. Right now, I just have him saying, “Come,” but I wonder if there's something idiomatic that I can render as English (or even a mix of Japanese and English, like the Japanglish “Smith-san.”

Edited to make this not a translation request: I'm thinking he might address her as 妹ちゃん (which I would render as sister-chan or little sister) perhaps? Or is there a stand-alone form for ちゃん that he would use?

• I don’t understand what you mean by something you can “render as English.”
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 4, 2022 at 9:00
  • I'm afraid your question would be off-topic as is. If you're looking for an English phrase, you are on a wrong forum; if you want a Japanese translation, you would need to show your current guess so that the question is not a translation request.
    – sundowner
    Mar 4, 2022 at 9:03
  • @aguijonazo By render as English, I'm writing an English text, so rather than merely a Japanese phrase, I would also need a literal translation to non-idiomatic English, Mar 4, 2022 at 16:45
    So you are looking for something idiomatic in Japanese that you can literally translate to non-idiomatic English? I still don't understand. Why don't you just make up non-idiomatic English? 妹ちゃん is non-idiomatic in Japanese but I don't see why "sister-chan" doesn't work for you and your readers, who anyway don't understand Japanese but might recognize "chan" as Japanese.
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 4, 2022 at 20:55
    @JimmyYang 「つれてこい」 means "Bring (someone) along", "Bring (someone) here". I guess you meant 「つてこい」 instead. (ついておいで would fit better with the softness of 「お嬢ちゃん」, though.)
    – Chocolate
    Mar 5, 2022 at 8:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .