If I want to say something like:

This movie was adapted from a novel

この映画は小説から適応されました。

Is this the right way to say it?

2 Answers 2

No, 適応 only works with another meaning of adapt/adaptation, one that has to do with the environment, biology, and people.

For creative works:

この映画はその小説を原作{げんさく}とした作品だ

これはその小説を原案{げんあん}にした映画だ

小説を脚色{きゃくしょく}した映画だ

Is 脚色 used enough to be worth a mention? I know the Oscar for best adapted screenplay is called 脚色賞.
    – Leebo
    Commented Feb 23, 2022 at 9:27
  • @Leebo Ooh that's a good word. Thanks for the suggestion!
    – Eddie Kal
    Commented Feb 23, 2022 at 17:39
    The 英和辞典 that's part of Apple's "Dictionary" app glosses "adaptation" in this sense as 「«…の/…用の» 改作(物), 脚色作品」, and also includes 「その小説の映画化作品」as a translation of "a movie adaptation of the novel." I have no idea how common these alternatives are, but they have the advantage of being a bit more compact than what you have proposed.
    – Nanigashi
    Commented Feb 23, 2022 at 18:15
    I think many people would not understand this usage of 脚色する easily. It’s normally only used in another meaning (to exaggerate or color something). Commented Feb 23, 2022 at 18:36
    Fun fact: choosing between 原案 or 原作 is sometimes literally a million dollar question. Kinda like how you may dodge a bullet by saying "This song is inspired by..." instead of "This song is based on..."
    – dungarian
    Commented Feb 24, 2022 at 0:53

How about using 「もと(元)」, as in...

これは、小説をもとにした映画です。
この映画は、小説をもとにしています。

Or 「映画化」, as @Nanigashi suggested:

これは、小説を映画化したものです。

I think using 原作 (in @Eddie's post) is good, too. I think you can also say it like this:

これは、小説を原作にした映画です。
この映画は、小説が原作となっています。

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .