When something is happening and another thing also happens or is happening in general in English, we can use Verb+ing form after "when" or "whenever" to express the idea, like the two examples below.

Example 1:

When/Whenever I am watching TV, my friend annoys me.

Example 2:

When/Whenever I am doing my homework, my younger brother is playing video games.

Question:

If I want to express the same concept in Japanese, do I use "する時" or "ている時"?

When/Whenever I am watching TV, my friend annoys me.

Example 3: 私がテレビを見ている時、友達が邪魔する。

Example 4: 私がテレビを見る時、友達が邪魔する。

When/Whenever I am doing my homework, my younger brother is playing video games.

Example 5: 私が宿題をしているとき、弟はゲームをやっている。

Example 6: 私が宿題をするとき、弟はゲームをやっている。

2 Answers 2

I want to expand a bit on this question's answer, which is very similar.

Example 3 is good. It means that when you are watching TV, your friend annoys you.

Example 4 means "right before I watch TV, my friend annoys me" (which is pretty nonsensical...)

Example 5 and 6 have a similar problem. Example 6 means "right before I do my homework, my brother plays games".

In general, if you are in a state when something else happens, use ている to specify that it is indeed a state. Otherwise, if the verb is an action, the meaning changes.

Edit: in response to the comment by a20, I've cited a source for my translations, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, page 493:

DBJG, p 493

• 4 is simply translated as "When I watch TV, my friend bugs me", I do not understand where you get the "right before" from.
    – a20
    Feb 2, 2022 at 12:33
  • My reference is A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar
    – Riolku
    Feb 2, 2022 at 17:45
  • @a20 I've edited the post, how's this
    – Riolku
    Feb 2, 2022 at 17:48
  • @Riolku I found this example in the page 491 of the book. It is: 松本さんは朝ご飯を食べる時いつもテレビをみる(Mr. Matsumoto always watches TV when he eats his breakfast.)This means my example 4 can also mean When/Whenever I watch TV, my friend annoys me. I think it is wierd. Can you explain about this topic more?
    – vincentlin
    Feb 12, 2022 at 14:55
  • Honestly, I don't understand it enough. This sentence given is fine, but I don't know how it differs from 食べている... my guess is that the progressive tense gives more focus to the action of eating
    – Riolku
    Feb 13, 2022 at 5:18

Examples #3 and #5 sound natural for what you mean.

Example #4 is also fine if you are talking about what habitually happens, as opposed to a specific instance in which you are already watching TV and your friend disturbs you. I think you can say “When/Whenever I watch TV” in English for this sense, too.

While example #6 could also be understood as referring to a habit, it sounds a bit odd because of the progressive やっている. It sounds as if your brother is already in the middle of playing a game by the time you sit down to do your homework, and that happens every time you do so.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .