I speak a fair amount of Japanese (from America, live in Kobe, Japan), but am having a hard time finding a good way to say liminal.

The best I can think of is things like gap or transition 間 【あいだ】

Could you add some example phrases in English to clarify why usual dictionary definition doesn't work?
    – sundowner
    Jan 27, 2022 at 12:18
    Please provide a few example sentences. This is important for several reasons: 1. there might be different meanings/nuances depending on how it is used, where different translations would be appropriate (even if the same word is used for all cases in English) 2: It is not a common word so people can have difficulty understanding exactly what you want to say
    – a20
    Jan 27, 2022 at 12:31
  • To think of it, is a nice choice, in a sense it may be used for 顕在と潜在の間 (or 壁 or 膜) i.e. the critical faculty which lays between . E.g. you claim to be from Kobe because you want to penetrate our 顕在と潜在意識の間にある壁 so we will watch the Lakers game.
    – dungarian
    Jan 27, 2022 at 23:39
  • Welcome to the Japanese Language Stack Exchange, Leslie Betz. I initially assumed you were asking for a translation for "liminal" as it is commonly used by humanities scholars influenced by the cultural anthropologist Victor Turner; since this is not information readily available in English-Japanese dictionaries and the like, I wrote an answer that gave a few options and some usage examples. On reflection, though, I agree with sundowner and a20 that you need to clarify your question, so I have removed my answer. If it turns out that it was what you were looking for, I'll restore it.
    – Nanigashi
    Jan 28, 2022 at 15:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .