What is the pitch accent for the Net slang term ワロタ? I've looked in the usual J-J dictionaries which have pitch accent info, but this doesn't seem to be a headword in any that I've seen.

My guesses would be 頭高 or 平板, but I've never heard the term read out, so I have no intuition here.

• I personally pronounce it as same as あなた, and many other of my friend agrees me.
    – Skye-AT
    Jan 27 at 5:41
    Its original accent in Kansai-ben is [わろた]【HLL】. Not sure how that slang word is pronounced when mixed in standard Japanese.
    – aguijonazo
    Jan 27 at 5:49
    「あなた」と同じってことは、 [ワロタ]{LHL} ってことですかね・・・? 私は[ワロタ]{HLL} だと思っていましたけど、関西人だから?
    – Chocolate
    Jan 27 at 6:47
    BTW I just checked, and this is a headword in the latest edition of daijirin! It lists it as heiban (but see naruto’s answer). Jan 28 at 7:32

1 Answer 1

From my experience, it's always ワロタ【HLL】 (頭高) regardless of the dialect.

But it's not a word used in oral conversations, so not everyone is familiar with its typical pronunciation.

There seems to be some heiban on Youglish, what do you think of them? youglish.com/pronounce/%E3%83%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%BF/japanese (use the dark blue arrow to see the next video) Jan 27 at 20:41
    @DariusJahandarie Now I feel I have heard something like this before, but it still sounds a little off to me. There are words that were "flattened" recently by younger generations, but I'm not sure if this is one of them.
    – naruto
    Jan 28 at 1:18
    My 20-yr-old friend from Tokyo says it atamadaka and she normally heibanifies like everything possible lol, fwiw. Jan 28 at 3:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .