I read the definition of a word I'm pretty sure means crusty scab [瘡蓋]{かさぶた}:

できもの・傷口が,治るにしたがいできる皮膜。

I believe this means "a film-membrane that can (?) follow up to fix a wound". I'm not sure however what したがいできる (従い出来る?) means here.

Also, I have also seen this が and then a comma (が,) many times when reading the definitions of words. Is this your normal subject marker が with an omitted part after it?

できもの・傷口が,治るにしたがいできる皮膜。

2 Answers 2

にしたがい expresses that one thing changes at the same time as another thing, with a causal relationship. XにしたがいY = "as X happens, Y happens"

傷口が,治るにしたがいできる皮膜
A membrane which is made as the wound heals.

I'm sure が is the normal subject particle but I'm afraid I have no idea what the comma is for.

As the other answer says, に従い expresses that one thing takes place simultaneously with something else. Here's what A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar has to say (page 269):

dictionary entry 1 formation rules

So this becomes "A membrane that forms as a pimple or wound heals". Note that できる means something more like "to be made" here.

が is definitely just the subject particle, there isn't an omission.

• Thanks, I figured it was no omission but nice to have confirmation.
    – firuvi
    Jan 27 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.