Dialogue goes as follows:

A: へー!アンタってお嬢さんだからピザ切れないと思ってた。

B: これくらい...!バカにしないでよね!

I understand they're saying "Don't be stupid" But can't figure out what the これくらい is supposed to be doing there.

• I think it's simply just これ + くらい, meaning something like "That's about it." Did they show a picture of her cutting the pizza?
    – Nameless
    Jan 22, 2022 at 18:15
  • @Nameless Yes they did! So it mean's "that's about it?"
    – leosan
    Jan 22, 2022 at 22:13
    Manab's translation is much better: "This much!" Just keep in mind it's これ + くらい, where くらい is a particle meaning "approximately" and これ represents the amount of pizza that was cut.
    – Nameless
    Jan 22, 2022 at 23:05
  • This is why context is important. これ is just a demonstrative pronoun.
    – Nameless
    Jan 22, 2022 at 23:14
    It is meant for something along the lines of これくらいできるわよ.
    – aguijonazo
    Jan 23, 2022 at 0:39

2 Answers 2

This これ ("this") refers to the action in question, namely the pizza-cutting. くらい is used to indicate the marked noun (これ) is not difficult/important/etc.

And ばかにする is not "to be stupid" but "to mock someone" or "to make a fool of someone".

これくらい...! バカにしないでよね!

This is just a...! Don't make a fool of me!
("This" = "Pizza-cutting")

Something like this is...(easy even to me)! Don't make fun of me!

+1 but note that "to fool" and "to mock" are not synonyms (at least in modern usage). "to fool" means "to deceive" whereas "to mock" means "to make fun of" as you used in your last translation. You could also use "to make a fool of" instead of "to mock". Jan 23, 2022 at 8:54
  • @user3856370 Thank you, corrected.
    – naruto
    Jan 23, 2022 at 11:47

There isn't much context, but maybe it means something like "don't be "this much" of an idiot. Or maybe it's just referring to the pizza.

• That's what I thought initially but then saw that the これくらい is separated from the バカ part so I thought that maybe it wasn't actually modifying this second part of the sentence. So more likely it refers to the pizza like you said. But what would it mean if that's the case?
    – leosan
    Jan 22, 2022 at 22:15
    To me, it sounds like: "what? I thought a woman like you could not cut a pizza!" "She takes a big piece of it" "This much! You're making me sound like a fool/don't make me look like a fool!". I adapted a little, but that's how it sounds to me.
    – Manab
    Jan 22, 2022 at 22:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .