I read the definition of 義務 because I found the word 義務教育:

人が人として,あるいは立場上身分上当然しなければならないこと

I understand the definition as "Thing that a person has to do" but I can't find the meanings of 立場上 and 身分上, so my understanding is excluding those parts. What is the 上 meaning in these words? Is it the 上-definition: 

Noun, Noun which may take the genitive case particle 'no', Adverb (fukushi), Noun, used as a suffix: 1. above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)(jisho)

But then I don't understand how the sentence makes sense.

1 Answer 1

This ~上【じょう】 is a suffix that forms an adverb/no-adjective meaning "~-wise", "in terms of ~" or "from the viewpoint of ~".

For example:

• 金銭上: in terms of money; financially
  • 文法上: grammar-wise; grammatically
  • 教育上: from an educational point of view; educationally
  • 法律上: according to the law; legally speaking
  • 計算上: mathematically speaking; if my calculation is correct

立場 is "standpoint", and 身分 is "social status/position". 立場 is something that can change depending on the situation, while 身分 is something that is fixed for a long time (sometimes for the entire life).

In your sentence, I think 上 can be translated like:

立場、身分当然しなければならないこと
a thing one must naturally do {based on | in accord with} his/her position

How does it compare with 的に?
    – Jimmy Yang
    Jan 20 at 17:59
    @JimmyYang Not very different, but 上 is stiffer, and preferred in academic/legal contexts.
    – naruto
    Jan 20 at 23:37
    @JimmyYang 歴史上の means "in history" or "historical", whereas 歴史的な usually means "epoch-making" or "historic", so they are not always interchangeable. Not sure if there's a general rule...
    – naruto
    Jan 21 at 0:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.