I recently learned different usages of both kanji and I saw it is possible to use the combination of both. It seems to me that 間中{あいだじゅう} isn't a new word. (The other readings don't matter now.)

Here are a couple of examples which contain 間中{あいだじゅう}:

山田さん は テレビ を 見{み}ている間中{あいだじゅう} 食{た}べていました。
Mr. Yamada was eating while watched the TV.

デートの間中{あいだじゅう} 天気{てんき} が 悪{わる}かった。
The weather was bad during the date.

I know these examples have the same meaning if I leave out 中{じゅう} because in this case 間{あいだ} still expresses that the statement happened from the start to end of the particular period. So I think here 中{じゅう} has been used to emphasize the fact that the statement happened for the whole particular period. Am I right?

1 Answer 1

You are right, 間中 is more emphatic, and indicates something happens from the start to the end of the period. Most of the time, you can translate ~の間 simply as "during ~", and ~の間中 as "throughout ~", "all through ~" or "during the entire ~". ずっと has the same function.

• 夜の間
    during the night
  • 夜の間中 / 夜の間ずっと / 夜の間中ずっと
    all through the night / throughout the night / during the entire night
  • 寝ている間
    while sleeping
  • 寝ている間中 / 寝ている間ずっと / 寝ている間中ずっと
    the entire time one is sleeping / the whole time sleeping
  • I have a question: isn't 「の間中ずっと」rather redundant?
    – Nameless
    Jan 20 at 4:35
    @Nameless It's true that using one of the two is usually enough, but IMHO using both is not unnatural when you want to speak emphatically.
    – naruto
    Jan 20 at 4:42
  • Yes, I just wanted to make sure as I've always seen it written as 間ずっと.
    – Nameless
    Jan 20 at 4:43
  • @nameless BTW, what do you feel about "all through the entire night"? Is it redundant or unnatural?
    – naruto
    Jan 20 at 4:49
    Thanks, so looks like it's at least much worse than の間中ずっと :)
    – naruto
    Jan 21 at 7:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.