First of all, to give you some context, there are 3 characters that will be referred to as A, B, and C. The following lines are from a dialogue between A and B about C. The character C has done things that are considered wrong, unforgivable actually, and that's why in the dialogue there is 許される.

Character A does not approve of what C did. However, B is grateful; he is on the side of C.

B: むしろ俺は感謝してるっスよ。
A: 許されることじゃねーだろ。
B: 許されるって誰に?つーか…なんでそんな無下にできんスか?

I'm fairly certain that A is saying something like "But, it's unforgivable."
"That sort thing shouldn't be allowed." (referring to C's actions)
The subject are his actions, right? I say this because if A had wanted to say "I can't forgive/allow/him for what he does", I believe (あいつを)許せない would have worked or 許されない.

Regarding B's line where he says 許されるって誰に? if it sounds like he doesn't approve of what A said, and given that he also quotes what he said (with the use of って), personally I consider that it would have sounded better if B had also negated the verb, as in, to say: "Unforgivable, you say? By whom?"

Would have made sense in my opinion and much easier to translate, but it's not like that and I'm not sure what B is implying.

1 Answer 1

personally I consider that it would have sounded better if B had also negated the verb

If Person A had said 許されないことだろ, this is true. But って is a quoting particle, and what he actually said is 許される(ことじゃない), not 許されない.

Literally:

A: 許されることじゃねーだろ。
 It's not something that's to be forgiven.

B: 許されるって誰に?
 "Forgiven", by who?
(implies "Regarding this matter, no one allows or disallows anything.")

I think English speakers won't say "Unforgiven by who?" in this context, either.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.