I just learned that 来る could also mean "to be", like なる and I was wondering if there was a difference in usage and meaning.

New contributor
An Otaku is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
    Can you include some example sentences like some sentences in which you learned that sense of 来る?
    – Eddie Kal
    2 days ago
  • here it is: 今日、新しい先生がきました
    – An Otaku
    2 days ago
    I'm struggling to see how "to be" could be used to translate that so maybe you can share what translation were you given for that sentence as well. @AnOtaku
    – Ringil
    2 days ago
    Don't want to make assumptions, but I think you're talking about cases not where なる replaces 来る, but instead, 「おいでに」 or 「おみえに」 is replacing "come" with "visiting" or "showing up", and add なる at the end. Thus, the meaning of the word なる is not swapped with 来る, but the choice of words to represent the actions are changed. If this is the path you seek, here are references: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/46369/…
    – dungarian
    2 days ago
    Basically they are as different as night and day. Basic verbs like くる and なる have dozens of usages, and it's hard to get what you are asking about specifically. (If you look up "become" and "come" in an English dictionary, you can see they have more than 20 definitions. There may be edge cases where they are interchangeable, but they are different.)
    – naruto
    yesterday

Your Answer

An Otaku is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.