In this sentence:

常盤木さんの家には、見つけて嬉しくない化石で溢れてますね」

Does the に particle alone marks 常盤木さんの家 as the location that something (which has been obmitted in this sentence) exists without verbs like ある? If not then what is actually the function of に in this sentence? and could it be replaced with で or left out all together? Thank you

This sentence seems ungrammatical. Did you copy it correctly? In particular, check the particle before 溢れて.
    – naruto
    Jan 13 at 11:39
  • @naruto It's from a native novel and I copied it as it is. I don't think it's the で particle but 連用形 of だ. Which this case means things in the house (omitted) are fossil and are everywhere
    – Tung
    Jan 13 at 11:48
    Then it's a simple typo. You can say 家に(は)化石溢れている or 家化石溢れている, but NOT 家に(は)化石で溢れている.
    – naruto
    Jan 13 at 11:51
  • @naruto so に in this case is associated with the verb 溢れる then? so assume that the で is a typo and should be が instead right? I felt it a bit strange but tried to make sense in my head since it's a native source. Thank you for pointing out.
    – Tung
    Jan 13 at 11:58
    Yes, in 家に化石が溢れている, に is a location marker used with a verb of existence (which includes 住んでいる, 乗っている, 立っている, 残っている, 溢れている and so on).
    – naruto
    Jan 13 at 12:14

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.