What does the te-form mean here by itself?

コロナウイルスがうつった人のことも考えて

Edit: The context is a newspaper headline: 大学の入学試験「コロナウイルスがうつった人のことも考えて」Does a te-request really make sense in this context?

This is when more context will help.
    – Eddie Kal
    Jan 12 at 20:33
    @EddieKal Not 100% sure, but very likely that this NHK easy news article is the source: www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10013425551000/k10013425551000.html
    – Setris
    Jan 12 at 22:18
    NHK News Easy is news, but calling it a newspaper with no other context is a little misleading. It's intentionally written to be easy to read, so the language used does not necessarily have to conform to standard newspaper conventions.
    – Leebo
    Jan 13 at 22:47

It's a short form of 「~てください(te-kudasai)」 and kudasai is omitted. So the whole sentence should be 「コロナウイルスがうつった人のことも考えてください。」, which means "Please think about the people who got infected with the coronavirus."

I think this usage of Te-form is more common in conversation than writing, such as 「助けて!(tasukete="Help (me)!")」 or 「明日来て。(asita kite="Come tomorrow.")」, probably because it's short and easy to say. On the other hand, Te-kudasai is more formal, polite, and common in writing.

• Hello, please see my comment! Jan 13 at 22:39
    I've read the NHK news web. Hmm, I think there are two possibilities. (1) 文部科学省は、大学に対して、「コロナウイルスがうつった人のことも考えてください。」と言った。 Ministry of education tells universities to "think about the people(=students) who got infected with coronavirus." (2) 大学の入学試験は、コロナウイルスがうつった人のことも考えて実施される予定だ。 University exam will be took place taking into consideration the people(=students) who got infected with coronavirus. I can't be sure whether (1) or (2) is correct, but I think in either case the main point of the news is that university exam will take COVID positive students into consideration.
    – Masa Y
    Jan 14 at 1:55

Context would help, but I would suggest considering the possibility of it being a request, leaving a following ください or more informally くれ unsaid. The sentence therefore means something like "(Please) Think about all the people the corona virus has infected."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.