From the beginning of the first book of 魔法科高校の劣等生 (その refers to 魔法)

当初、その異能は「超能力」と呼ばれていた。純粋に先天的な、突然変異で備わる能力であって、共有・普及可能な技術体系化は不可能と考えられていた。

I might be overthinking but I'm not sure about で after 突然変異. I wonder if「先天的な、突然変異で」is actually modifying 備わる because when I look up this word in a monolingual dictionary, I noticed が is typically used like「冷暖房の備わった部屋」for example. How will the meaning change if「先天的な、突然変異の備わる」is used?

Or maybe, the first part of the sentence is parsed like this way

純粋に (先天的な、突然変異) (備わる能力) あって

Both で goes to あって. I'm not sure if that's case because I think でも should be used instead of で.

If you're feeling 備わる is a tricky intransitive verb, thinking of it as "to come/exist (as an equipment or to enhance something)" is not too far. 彼には才能がある = 彼には才能が備わっている = "Talent exists around him"; 冷暖房の備わった部屋 = 冷暖房が備わった部屋 = "a room where an air conditioner has come"; 突然変異備わる能力 = "an ability that comes by/through mutation".
    – naruto
    Jan 6 at 10:02
    純粋に (先天的な、突然変異で) (備わる能力で) あって ← いや。。 How about parsing it like 「(純粋に先天的な)、(突然変異で備わる)能力であって」?  「純粋に先天的な」 and 「突然変異で備わる」 both modify 能力.
    – Chocolate
    Jan 7 at 3:27

That last であって is just である in the continuative て form and it acts more or less like です. With this in mind, we can safely assume that the sentence is parsed like this:

(純粋に先天的な、突然変異で備わる能力)である

It's purely an innate ability obtained by mutation.

In that previous sentence, the が is implicit and goes with 能力. The mutation 突然変異 is the means/method by which that ability is acquired, so it needs で. If you change it to 突然変異の備わる能力, this would mean that the ability itself "possess" a mutation (I'm unsure if 備わる can even be used like that in the first place). Assuming we're talking about humans, an example with が for the same context would be:

その能力の備わる人間 [...]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.