I'm reading Harry Potter in Japanese and it goes:

力は失せ、命も絶えなんとする姿で、ヴォルデモートは逃げ去った。
His powers gone, his life almost extinguished, Voldemort had fled;

命も絶えんとする姿で would make sense to me, but it's a bit confusing with the extra な. What is it? Can it be the perfective ぬ (as in 風が立ちぬ =The wind has risen)?

• Why they used an expression like this in a children’s book is beyond me.
    – aguijonazo
    Jan 6 at 2:12
  • 読んだことないですが、ファンタジー作品ならこういう古めかしい表現もあるのかなー、と思ってました。現代文では「さもありなん」を除けばまず見ないですよね…。
    – naruto
    Jan 6 at 3:18
  • @aguijonazo I have often heard people say that the translation of Harry Potter is strange, but I don't think I've ever found a breakdown of why people think so.
    – Leebo
    Jan 6 at 3:44
    @Leebo By googling "harry potter 翻訳おかしい," you can find some interesting Japanese threads like detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q13174025388
    – Jimmy Yang
    Jan 6 at 5:35

Yes, that な is the irrealis form (未然形) of ぬ from classical Japanese. ぬ is usually the auxiliary for the perfective aspect (as in 風立ちぬ), but when it's combined with an auxiliary of inference such as ん (=む), it emphatically adds the degree of certainty.

(2) 強意…[きっと~・~してしまう]

船にのりなんとす。(土佐日記・一二月二七日)
 (船に乗ってしまおうとする。)

※「つ」・「ぬ」+推量の助動詞
 つべし・ぬべし・てむ・にむ・つらむ・ぬらむ・てまし・なまし・にけむ・てけむ
 などの推量の助動詞とともに用いられる場合は強意となる。

②〔確述〕きっと…だろう。間違いなく…はずだ。▽多く、「む」「らむ」「べし」など推量の意を表す語とともに用いられて、その事態が確実に起こることを予想し強調する。

完了の助動詞「つ」「ぬ」を解説!【古典文法】

推量(系)の助動詞と連携

この「つ」「ぬ」は推量(系)の助動詞(いずれ出てきます)とも連携します。そして、なんと推量と連携する時、「つ」「ぬ」は新たな文法的意味を獲得します。それが 「強意」

この時の「つ」や「ぬ」の意味は「完了」ではなくて「強意」です。訳す際には、「きっと〜だろう」と訳し、「きっと」のところに「強意」の意味が反映されています。

So:

• 絶えん (絶えむ) = 絶えるだろう
  • 絶えん (絶えなむ) = 間違いなく絶えるだろう/絶えてしまうだろう

See this entry, too.

Fascinating question and answer. I have a question about native speakers' general knowledge of this type of construction. Do native Japanese speakers only understand such things because they have studied 文語 at school? Or do they have a kind of vague intuition about some Classical constructions (e.g. -む ~= だろう) even though they have never formally studied Classical Japanese?
    – jogloran
    Jan 6 at 1:07
    @jogloran Simple ん/む for volition/inference (e.g., いざ行かん, さもあらん) is relatively common in manga and lyrics, so most people know how it works intuitively. なん/なむ is much less common, and average native speakers don't understand it intuitively. I think I knew about it before the university entrance exam, but I had forgotten about it until yesterday.
    – naruto
    Jan 6 at 3:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.