Does これからも and apply to both or just to B?

Example:

よーし! 私これからも 防御に特化してプレイしよう

Does it mean

Alright, let's keep specializing in defense and playing! [We've been already doing both.]

or

Alright, let's specialize in defense and keep playing! [We've been already playing, but didn't specialize in defense until now.]

Or something else entirely?

I think this 防御に特化して is adverbially modifying プレイする. That is, it says "to play it specializing in defense" or "to play with a dedicated defensive style", not "to specialize in defense and then play". Therefore これからも applies to both as a set. The sentence means "Let's keep playing [it] with a dedicated defensive style!"

Remember that te-form can explain how the second action is done:

• 歩いて学校に行く
    to go to school on foot
    (Not: to walk and then go to school)
  • ナイフを使って紙を切る
    to cut paper with a knife
    (Not: to use a knife and then cut paper)

See: て form and adverbial meaning

I was puzzled by the 私 in the original sentence and the OP's translation as "let's". Am I missing something? Is it not just "I will keep ..." Jan 1 at 11:38
    @user3856370 She's talking to herself. I was hoping that "let's do this" conveys the meaning correctly. I could have translated it as "Alright, I'll keep playing ...", but wouldn't that lose the nuance of しよう?
    – max
    Jan 1 at 12:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.