In Episode 40 of the First Gundam, Amuro and Sayla have this conversation:

セイラ 「そうよ、アムロはニュータイプですもの」

アムロ 「タイプから言ったら、古い人間らしいけど」

セイラ 「フフ、そうね、おセンチで、ちっとも飛んでないのにね、アムロって」

アムロ 「そう正面きって言われると、いい気分のもんじゃありませんね」

I'm confused by Sayla's second sentence. Is there any slang meaning for tobu that doesn't relate to flying? Can Osenchi in this case also refer to centimeters instead of sentimentality?

I don’t know the exact story, but it seems that 飛んでる is more or less synonymous to ニュータイプ here (cf. here). Apparently it means something like the character is remarkable or sticks out or something along those lines.
    – sundowner
    Dec 30 '21 at 6:22
  • That make sense Sundowner. That he gets a little offended because she says that he doesn't stick out at all. Thanks a lot.
    – Stucco
    Dec 30 '21 at 16:40

Looks like this 飛んでる/翔んでる is an obsolete buzzword (in 1970's) meaning "freewheeling", "liberal" or "having different sensibilities (than the older generation)". Unlike ぶっ飛んでる (which is currently in use in the sense of "outlandish; insane"), 飛んでる was a positive expression.

飛んでる

常識にとらわれずに行動する。自由に生きる。「―◦でる女性」

[補説]「翔んでる」とも書く。

So ちっとも飛んでない means Amuro has a pretty old-fashioned and conservative mindset. 古い人間 refers to this, too (see this). They are jokingly saying he is a newtype in one sense but is an "old type" in another sense.

おセンチ(な) is another buzzword of the 70's meaning "sentimental".

• I assume the underlying metaphor is that jumping (out) = attracting attention? Like the French "sauter aux yeux"? Jan 4 at 23:30
  • @KarlKnechtel Those kanji mean flying rather than jumping. I think flying is a straightforward metaphor for liberation.
    – naruto
    Jan 5 at 0:11
  • Ah, the "jump" sense is specifically 跳 then? Jan 5 at 0:13
  • @KarlKnechtel Yes, 翔 = 飛 = fly, 跳 = jump.
    – naruto
    Jan 5 at 0:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.