It is from a book titled ガンビアの春, or Spring in Gambier, that I am translating for my senior capstone project. I can read 活, but I couldn't tell you what the second character is. This author tends to use outdated kanji, such as 附くrather than 付く, and so on. I can't find it by writing it or inputting the radicals.

enter image description here

This word seems to be an adjective. The surrounding sentence is as follows:

…「キャンパス・アウルズ」(キャンパスのふくろう)という楽団を組織して、一九二九年の夏にはヨーロッパへ演奏旅行に出かけたというから、なかなか活_な学生であったらしい。

• That is 潑, which seems to be an older version of 溌. So the word in question can also be written as 活溌.
    – ivantod
    Dec 19 '21 at 18:53
  • Thank you so much! That's it!
    – bella
    Dec 19 '21 at 18:57
    Not in this context! It's a book about Kenyon College, which is in Gambier, Ohio
    – bella
    Dec 19 '21 at 23:03
    Ah, that's interesting! I actually know someone who went there. I just checked the author's Wiki page: 「1959年(昭和34年)には、ケニオン大学へ1年間の留学のため、夫婦でアメリカ合衆国オハイオ州ガンビア村に滞在した経験を『ガンビア滞在記』として著した」 Learned something new today!
    – Eddie Kal
    Dec 19 '21 at 23:08
    Google’s handwriting input method recognizes those old forms if the input language is set to “Detect language” (or Traditional Chinese).
    – aguijonazo
    Dec 19 '21 at 23:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.