Is there a grammatically correct expression similar to the {~って感じ} slang?

For example, I heard something like the following conversation in an anime:

A: テストはどう?
B: どうって? 「もう死にてぇ」って感じだぜ。
A: アハハ。何だそれ?

What grammatically correct expression should B-san replace the {~って感じ} part with, while retaining similar nuance, emphasis and emotion?

Just as a side note: って感 is not grammatically incorrect. It's just slang.
    – Boaz Yaniv
    Jun 10, 2011 at 7:32
    って is an informal form of either と or という. In the second case it can sure come before a noun, and it's actually quite common: ってこと, って意味, etc.
    – Boaz Yaniv
    Jun 10, 2011 at 7:37
    I don't think って感じ is incorrect. Jun 10, 2011 at 12:25
    I am not sure what you are asking. As other people said, って感じだ is grammatically correct. It is fairly informal, so first I thought that you were looking for a more formal expression, but you write “retaining similar nuance,” which suggests to me that you are not looking for a more formal expression. Jun 11, 2011 at 0:24
    @repecmps: If your grammar book does not mention って used in place of という, it simply means that your book does not list everything. dic.yahoo.co.jp/… Jun 11, 2011 at 12:32

1 Answer 1

I guess you can always use ~という感じがする or ~という感じです, which, I guess, is where ~って感じ comes from.

• I'd include ~と感じている so as not to let people think って is always translated as という
    – repecmps
    Jun 10, 2011 at 9:37
  • @repecmps: Although って can mean と sometimes, ~と感じている doesn't match the meaning conveyed by って感じ in this question. Jun 10, 2011 at 12:24
  • @Derek: How is that? What's the meaning conveyed by って感じ other than "i feel like ~"? Also って doesn't sometimes mean と but most of the time since this is what it means when って is in front of a verb.
    – repecmps
    Jun 10, 2011 at 12:40
  • @repecmps: As I stated, in this question, where the subject is the test, you wouldn't say 「もう死にてぇ」と感じている -- it's unnatural Japanese. という感じだ is a far better substitution. The fact that って often equates to と when it's in front of a verb (how often is anyone's guess) does not apply here, because って is in front of a noun. I'm fine with you mentioning that って is not always という, but in this context ~と感じている doesn't work and Boaz is right to leave it out. Jun 10, 2011 at 13:32
    And you should know the difference between "grammatically incorrect" and "non-standard" or "low register" language. If I say "It's me" in English, there are many grammar douchebags who would just be horrified that I didn't say "It is I", but these says nothing about whether that grammar is correct or not. "Correct grammar" is not what the self-appointed grammar snubs of whatever language call "correct". Correct grammar, if anything, is this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammaticality. You're talking about this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescriptive_linguistics.
    – Boaz Yaniv
    Jun 11, 2011 at 13:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .