I vaguely remember reading somewhere that 「~といわず、~といわず」 doesn't come in 否定文, but I came across negative usage of late. Research took me to this site maintained by a native speaking Japanese teacher who claims:

後件は否定文、依頼、命令の文はきません。

Okay, great. Wait, what's that in your examples?

部長は食事中といわず、会議中といわず、スマホを手離さない。

Literally two lines below, that page uses a 否定文 as an example sentence.

Here's another example I found, in a work of fiction translated by 菊池寛.

ネルロの行くところは野と言わず、市場の人混みと言わず、片時もそばをはなれないことにきめたのでした。(source)

So what's with this talk about ~といわず、~といわず not occurring in 否定文?

I don't think there are any requirement in X of 'AといわずBといわずX'. My feeling is that acceptability depends only on the meaning.

The pattern means literally regardless of A or B, X.

For example, both of the following are not acceptable.

食事中といわず、会議中といわず、スマホを手離す。

昼といわず、夜といわず、彼と一緒にいない。

It is because not having a phone or not being with someone else is rather normal and not worth mentioning.

On the other hand

猫といわず犬といわず動物は何でも好きです

猫といわず犬といわず動物は何でも好きじゃないです

are both acceptable (even though the latter sounds less natural - apart from such a person being unfortunate; probably 嫌いです would be more natural instead of 好きじゃないです.). This is due to the fact that both types of people are conceivable.

AといわずBといわず basically means everything, everywhere, all the time, etc. A and B are just examples. It is used to describe the way someone does something, and therefore, it is normally not used in a negative sentence.

I think this rule applies on the semantic level. Though syntactically negative, 手離さない and はなれない in your examples both indirectly describe the way someone, or a dog, does something anytime or anywhere. The department manager is always on their smartphone, and the dog is determined to stay close to Nello everywhere he goes.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.