As the title says, is 閣閣 a real word? I've searched through weblio古語辞典 and BCCWJ and I've gotten no results that are not 内閣閣僚. Out of pure curiosity, I just want to find a real example of this word being used (or just word testimony that a native speaker has heard or used it). Then again, maybe it's just another fob in jisho.org's source dictionary.

• Since it is listed as obscure, archaic, literary, the first thing that came to my mind would be searching through haiku, tanka, etc., I also noticed that there was a Chinese reading of 'ge', which may or may not be coincidental to the ge, ge, ge and gero, gero image of frogs cries. Dec 8 '21 at 0:36
  • The annotation ('to' particle etc) suggests it may be confusion with 赫赫.
    – sundowner
    Dec 8 '21 at 0:43
    A bit curious about the entry on this Japanese Dictionary: sakura-paris.org/dict/…
    – Andrew T.
    Dec 8 '21 at 11:28
  • @AndrewT. Interesting! The entry says that the word was used in a book called 自然と人生 which was published in 1900. Thank you so much for this!
    – Shurim
    Dec 8 '21 at 21:30

Ditto @naruto's findings.

Is this a real word?

Yes.

In Chinese, apparently.

The top hits at https://www.google.com/search?q="閣閣" are all for Chinese sites discussing the word, implying that this isn't terribly well known in that language community either.

Note also the simplified Chinese script version:

阁阁

Then again, maybe it's just another fob in jisho.org's source dictionary.

Sure looks like a goof. While this does apparently appear in texts that are nominally Japanese, as naruto notes, these are all in Chinese contexts -- texts deliberately evincing a Classical Chinese mood. As such, in linguistic terms, this could be viewed more as code switching, where writers / readers / speakers of Language A who are also knowledgeable about Language B deliberately mix in some words from Language B.

From what I'm seeing, I would classify this as Classical Chinese, not Japanese, and not in use in modern Chinese either.

I haven't heard or seen it. This seems to be more of an (old?) Chinese onomatopoeia ({{zh-cn:阁阁}}). Most Japanese articles that contain this word (e.g., this and this) seem to be related to old Chinese literature. I checked 青空文庫全文検索 (which contains older materials than BCCWJ) and found no relevant results.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.