I've been using HelloTalk for a while now, and one correction I got was that 「manga series)って聞いたことがありますか?」 was wrong, and that the correct way to say it is 「(manga series)って聞いたことありますか?」

I understand basic grammar, but I've never been able to figure out why I sometimes see this grammar point written as 「たことがある」and other times written as 「たことある」. Is there some kind of nuance here, or? I understand that particles are sometimes dropped, but is there a reason behind the が not being used here?

This was the post, though for the って I accidentally wrote it as が and was corrected before I could edit it in my original post. I'm terrible when it comes to proofreading. Anyways, I have no idea about the other correction. I'm sure I made multiple other blunders in my post that weren't corrected, but here it is:

今日はハイキングに行く予定だったけど、1日中雨が降ったり止んだりしています。結局家で漫画を読んで1日を過ごしました。もう一度PandoraHeartsを読みました。とても面白いシリーズだと思います。PandoraHeartsのアニメも好きだけど、アニメよりも漫画の方がずっといいと思います。次回、日本語で読んでみるつもりです。

皆さん、PandoraHeartsって聞いたことがありますか?

"wrong"てこともない気がするんですが… google.co.uk/… 「って聞いたことありますか」約 12,300,000 件 vs 「って聞いたことありますか」約 1,120,000 件
    – Chocolate
    Nov 26 at 0:26
    Just FYI, Hellotalk is fraught with incorrect corrections and misleading information. For example, see this question and the comments under it. If the correction you received was on a public post (as opposed to in private chat), it might be helpful to edit in a link to that post/correction, if you don't mind. (Hellotalk posts (moments) are all publicly viewable with a link)
    – Eddie Kal
    Nov 26 at 0:32
  • I've added in my post from HelloTalk. Usually I can figure out if the corrections are correct or not, but when I'm really not sure, I try to get clarification from places like this. Thanks in advance. Nov 26 at 1:03
  • Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat.
    – Chocolate
    Nov 26 at 2:20

XXって聞いたことがありますか?

I don't think your sentence is wrong. It sounds good to me.

I think they made the correction probably because って sounds colloquial while たことある does not.

XXって聞いたことありますか?

↑ って and ことある (omitting が) are both colloquial.

• Okay, so if I were to write it as XXと聞いたことがありますか? Would that be correct? Nov 26 at 1:51
    @モレランド, 「XXというのを聞いたことがありますか?」 would be good.
    – Chocolate
    Nov 26 at 2:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.