You can say:

「ありがとうございます」
「ありがとうございませ」
「ありがとうございまして」
「ありがとうございませ」

But when to use the different ones?
(extra question for those of you who are looking to answer questions) mase or mashite???
I'm not misremembering it as you can hear arigato gozaimasu and arigato gozaimashita. I'm just listing all the tenses. I just want to know why there is more than one way of saying it. and yes, there IS arigato gozaimashita because if you enter it in google translate, you don't get arigato gozaimasu, but you get arigato gozaimashita.

Where did you hear/see 「ありがとうございませ」 and 「ありがとうございまして」? Nov 20 at 3:27
    「ありがとうございまし 」はないんですね。
    – Chocolate
    Nov 20 at 6:36
    I feel you may be misremembering these from other common introductory level phrases like いらしゃいませ and はじめまして.
    – vsundae
    Nov 20 at 8:30
  • I'm not misremembering it as you can hear arigato gozaimasu and arigato gozaimashita. I'm just listing all the tenses. I just want to know why there is more than one way of saying it.
    – matcha
    Nov 21 at 2:27
  • ありがとうございませ is not a tense. In form, it's a command. But the verb here is ござる. Can you really order someone to be ござる? Can you order someone to be thankful? I don't think so. The form just doesn't really make much sense.
    – A.Ellett
    Nov 21 at 4:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.