Context is two high school students are casually discussing preparing for college entrance exams next year.

来年受験か? 家庭教師とか頼まなきゃいけないかな~

私家庭教師したことあるよ.近所の男の子が受験だっていうから私見てあげてたんだよ. 家庭教師できるなら受験も楽勝だよね

I'm familiar with という(っていう) being used for something being said and also as an abstract way to describe something (ウィル・スミスがあるという映画). I don't think the usage here is the former grammar since everything before the っていう does not sound how someone would talk to her. I also don't think it's the latter grammar since that takes a noun after という, but here it is から.

I think she's saying "The boy(s) in my neighborhood was taking entrance exams, so I looked over him". If that is the case, can you help me understand っていう in the sentence? And how would it be different to a sentence without it:

近所の男の子受験だから私見てあげてたんだよ

What do you think ウィル・スミスがあるという映画 means?
    – aguijonazo
    Nov 17, 2021 at 4:48
    Do these answer your question? Sentence-ending という / what is the difference between である & という
    – naruto
    Nov 17, 2021 at 5:00
    No, it doesn't mean that. If I have to make some sense out of it, I would understand it as “a movie Will Smith says exists” or “a movie Will Smith says something exists in,” which makes little sense.
    – aguijonazo
    Nov 17, 2021 at 8:17
    @hulapoll1 I think という as a special construction doesn't conjugate exactly because it's a special construction. Compare 近所にIKEAができので行ってみた, 近所にIKEAができたというので行ってみた and 娘が近所にIKEAができたと教えてくれので行ってみた.
    – naruto
    Nov 17, 2021 at 8:29
    @naruto I would say the first has nothing to do with hearsay, this new IKEA was recently finished recently so you tried going. The second is you heard/got information somehow that IKEA was recently finished so you tried going. And the third has a more concrete feeling of "That women informed me of the recently finished IKEA, so I tried going. So in that sense, という felt like a more off-hand way to say "i hear it (from somewhere probably unspecified and could maybe be implied or deduced?)". Anyway hearing という as a special construction that doesn't conjugate satisfies what I was curious about.
    – hulapoll1
    Nov 17, 2021 at 8:37

Browse other questions tagged .