In this video, the characters are saying the lines they had in the game, only reworded, but they basically mean the same thing.

やってみせる、それで自分が取り戻せるなら。

In the video game, there is a line of text:

自分自身を取り戻せるなら、やってみせるさ。

"If it will make me myself again, I'll do whatever it takes."

Which I'll assume says just about the same thing as the video, just reworded. Both lines are spoken by the same character. But I've always been confused about the それで since all it says in the dictionaries for それで is

1. and; thereupon; because of that

それで literally means "with this", and it does have various usages. Bit in this context, それで simply means "with/using this approach" or "in this way". It means the same thing as その方法で or そのやり方で.

それで meaning "and" or "by the way" is a fixed set phrase, and that's why it's described in dictionaries. それで in your question is a simple combination of それ and で as the method/means marker.

• What puzzled me was the なら on the end. I doesn't seem to fit to me. 自分自身を取り戻せるなら、やってみせるさ stands alone, but やってみせる、それで自分が取り戻せるなら seems like there's something left unsaid, or have I missed something? Nov 15 at 19:15
  • @user3856370 It's 倒置. But this shouldn't be hard to English speakers since English if-clauses can be placed at the end of a sentence.
    – naruto
    Nov 15 at 23:37
  • If the それで weren't there then it would make sense to me. To borrow the OP's words: "やってみせる、自分が取り戻せるなら = I'll do whatever it takes, if it will make me myself again". That's fine. But if I add in the それで I get "I'll do whatever it takes, and with that if it will make me myself again"., which doesn't make sense. What I actually want is "I'll do whatever it takes, and with that I will make me myself again". The それで and the なら don't seem to play nicely together. Or at least the "if" and the "and with that" don't play nicely together in English. Nov 16 at 1:00
    Ah, I think I've got it: "I'll do it if, by means of doing it, I can regain myself.". I need to think about this a bit more, but more importantly I need to go to sleep. Thanks for the explanations. Nov 16 at 1:26
    @user3856370 This それ is literally "it" and refers to some concrete plan suggested in the previous context (e.g. killing a dragon, diving into a waterfall, or anything). "If I can regain myself with that plan, I will put it in action."
    – naruto
    Nov 16 at 1:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.