While talking about the weather, I said:

✖️ いきなり涼しくなった

My interlocutor corrected me:

◯ 急に涼しくなった

I would like to understand what makes いきなり inappropriate to avoid making the same kind of mistake again.

I have found that the following sentences are correct even though they look quite similar to 「涼しくなった」 to me:

◯ いきなり揺れた。 (今朝起きた地震についてなど)

◯ 車を運転していたら、いきなりタイヤが破裂した。

◯ いきなりトイレが使えなくなった。

I have read this, but it did not help me understand when not to use いきなり.

It's best to ask these questions of the people who make the correction on the spot... It may be as simple as they personally say it one way more than the other.
    – Leebo
    Nov 7, 2021 at 5:33
  • I asked, but I did not get anything more than that いきなり is not something she would say in this context (of discussing the weather).
    – lacton
    Nov 9, 2021 at 2:15

1 Answer 1

いきなり is not terribly wrong, but いきなり tends to express a truly instant event that occurs all of a sudden. If I understand the context correctly, you are describing a phenomenon that progresses over a few days, so 急に sounds more natural. But if you have unexpectedly entered a cold room, saying いきなり涼しくなった is equally natural.

As the linked question says, いきなり also carries the nuance of subjective unexpectedness or mental unpreparedness, but this difference is not important now.

In addition to what @naruto says, I have the feeling that いきなり tends to be used slightly more often for negative things, since for instance いきなり寒くなった sounds more natural to me. This being said, as naruto points out, いきなり涼しくなった is really not so wrong (as a matter of fact, as a native speaker I might say the same and I had to think a bit to know why it was considered as wrong). Nov 8, 2021 at 7:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .