I'm trying to figure out which verb to use if I want to say "Let's switch between speaking English and Japanese", but in general I would just like to know.

What do you mean by 'switch between speaking E and J'? Speaking J for some time then E (and then to J)? Or change to J from E?
    – sundowner
    Nov 5 '21 at 4:53
  • Yes the former. Sometimes speak in English and sometimes speak in Japanese, so I can practice and they can practice too.
    – Hayli
    Nov 6 '21 at 5:12
  • I think because you said "switch between", 切り替える would be a very good choice. It's like toggling a switch. 変える would be better fit if you said "let's change the way we communicate to English".
    – dungarian
    Nov 6 '21 at 11:37

切り替える could be used but it sounds more like switching to the other language for the rest of the conversation.

If you are using it for language-exchange kind of thing, it would be clearer to use simply something like:

• 最初に(最初の30分)英語を話してそのあと日本語を話しましょう Let's speak English first (first 30 mins) and then speak Japanese.

Maybe closer to the 'switching between English and Japanese' you have in mind is:

• 英語と日本語を交互に話しましょう.

But this is not clear about how 'switching' takes place (like the English phrase), and may sound suggesting switching the languages frequently.

• Would using 交代 be right?
    – Mauro
    Nov 6 '21 at 10:15
    @Mauro I guess 英語と日本語を交代で話しましょう would be understood as intended by the OP in appropriate contexts, but by itself it sounds not like suggesting a conversation, more like the speaker and the hearer giving speech or translation, one in English and the other in Japanese.
    – sundowner
    Nov 6 '21 at 13:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.