I have noticed two different pronunciations for お column and related sounds (お, の, を).

For the first one, お is pronounced like aw as in always, の is like no as in British pronunciation of not (nawt).

For the second one, お is like oh, and よ is like yo as in Yo, what's up?

Are both of them corrent pronunciations?

Since we are talking about phonetics, it should be noted there is no singular "British pronunciation of not". In RP (Received Pronunciation) that vowel is actuated as an open-mid back rounded vowel or open back rounded vowel, but I am pretty sure in some parts of England, you'll hear the open back unrounded vowel in that word, which sounds closer to /a/. Also I am not sure what phone it is in your "yo" example.
    – Eddie Kal
    Commented Nov 4, 2021 at 16:39

1 Answer 1

Those two sounds are not distinguished in Japanese. They are free allophones of the same phoneme /o/.

• I am not very clear on the "two different pronunciations" that OP differentiates. That's why I wonder if your answer implies confirmation that OP's differentiation is valid and exists in other languages, though it may not exist in Japanese. (since phonemes and allophones are language-specific)
    – Eddie Kal
    Commented Nov 4, 2021 at 16:28
    @EddieKal - I understood the first as referring to the open-mid back rounded vowel [ɔ] and the second as the close-mid back rounded vowel [o]. If the OP heard the first in Japanese, it must sometimes occur (for a speaker of Burmese, at least).
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Nov 4, 2021 at 16:56
    I ruled out the open back rounded vowel [ɒ] because Japanese /o/ rarely gets so open.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Nov 4, 2021 at 17:02
  • Yes, the first is [ɔ] and the second one is [o]. Here I can only hear native japanese speakers saying not mu instead of no mu. Thanks for clarification. Commented Nov 4, 2021 at 22:40
    @HanMoeHtet - Openness is not the only difference between the vowels of the English words "not" and "no," though. The latter is a diphthong [ou]. In what Japanese words do you hear /o/ pronounced like that?
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Nov 4, 2021 at 23:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .