Searching the meaning of まだしも in a Japanese-Japanese dictionary called "三省堂 スーパー大辞林", the following definition (with examples) came up:

十分とはいえないが,どちらかといえばむしろ。「あやまるなら―,開き直って言い返してきた」「雨ならば,―雪の方がありがたい」

In an attempt to translate the text in bold, I came up with "If anything, rather" which makes no sense. Consulting Google Translate (which, I know, is known to be unreliable sometimes) gave similar results.

I pretty much know what まだしも means after searching different sources, but I still have no idea what どちらかといえばむしろ is.

どちらかといえば means the same as どちらかというと. This is related: question + と言うと For むしろ, this might help: What is the difference between むしろ and かえって?
    – aguijonazo
    Nov 2 '21 at 16:13
  • The version of スーパー大辞林 on my Mac has this easier-to-understand definition: 十分とはいえないが,他のものよりはましであるさま。ともかく。むしろ。「あやまるなら―,開き直って言い返してきた」「雨ならば,―雪の方がありがたい」
    – aguijonazo
    Nov 2 '21 at 23:40

Thanks to the comments, this finally clicked for me. どちらかといえば (if anything) + むしろ (A rather than B) = if anything, A rather than B. In hindsight, this was really straightforward.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.