I encountered this sentence in the Cave Story (洞窟物語) game. It appears when I pick up a device that gives me ability to look at a map.

探索する心さえ忘れなければ、いつか外に出られよう。私はそれを願う。

Unfortunately I can’t get the meaning of the first part. Let’s say that the 心 is some kind of willpower. “If I don’t forget my will to explore… at some point I will be able to go out. That’s what I wish for.”

I don’t know. The whole 探索する心さえ忘れなければ construct looks extremely cryptic to me.

• I'm more interested in the 出られよう part. Is it potential+volitional or passive+volitional? What does it imply?
    – Jimmy Yang
    Oct 15 '21 at 21:42
    @JimmyYang I believe this is an old-fashioned way of saying 出られるだろう
    – Angelos
    Oct 15 '21 at 21:56

It seems you hit a snag with さえ. One of さえ's usages, as explained in Google's definition, goes something like:

《「ば」など条件化の表現を伴って》 後ろに言う事が、その前に言う事だけの条件で満たされる意を表す。

This sense occurs with the 已然形・仮定形 (hypothetical) of a verb and expresses a condition. It works in roughly a similar way to "as long as", and sometimes can also be rendered as "unless" in sentences.

For example, this line means:

メールアドレスさえあれば、誰でも登録できます。
Anyone can log into the account, as long as they have the email address.

• Thanks for you answer! So to confirm, the actual meaning is “As long as I don’t lose my will to explore, I can go out.”, right? Does the 心 really mean an endeavor to do something? Does the 忘れなければ imply “as long as I have it”?
    – Glutexo
    Oct 19 '21 at 12:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.